Monday, April 1, 2013

New Places &Trying New Things

I thought this might be a good day to bring back some more journal type of blogging. Sometimes, it's nice to blog in a more structured form where there is a clear beginning, middle, and end to the whole piece.  Those kinds are like essays, and they have their place in the blogging world, but then there's something to be said for the freestyle of writing that flows naturally from the writer as if you were having a conversation with them. It's a really authentic way to write, because readers can really feel they know you, and are a part of your everyday life, whereas essays type writing, while passionate, can be a bit colder. Soapbox persuasion is meant to express a particular point of view with a means to explain, or persuade, rather than to just discuss.

So, to kick off autism awareness month I am here to just write about my experiences. I may get an idea in my head later on about a good topic to write about, but right now I am too busy living my life, and doing what I do to really do much more.  Autism awareness is something I engulf myself in everyday.  April is not different in that for me. My page, this blog, and my advocacy at my boy's schools is what I do for autism awareness everyday.  Sharing some social media photos, and wearing blue is not autism awareness to me.  It does not do anything to change the current status of how autism is viewed.

So, here we go... Today, we have an appointment with
a new counselor for Bubby. Due to his harsh words at school, I have decided to be sure to do what I can on the home front to ensure he is being taken care of emotionally.  I also need to be sure that I am finding a professional to back me up when I say that my son is not emotionally unhealthy, but rather stressed by the school environment. During a recent school meeting there was a lot of alluding to Bubby not being able to have his needs met in his current setting, and exaggerating some of the things he was saying during meltdowns, which I know are typical for an autistic male under stress.

This appointment is also making me cross boundaries that are hard for me.  It is in a part of the city that I don't drive in.  I hate driving, and it makes me seriously anxious, but I will do what I need to do to take care of my kids, even if that means facing some of my biggest anxiety producing situations. This situation is definitely hitting upon most of them at once.  It is like he is repeating my life in exact chronological order from when I was fourteen. The only difference is he is a little younger.  You'd think the last 20 years would have changed the way we as a society deal with people like me, and him, but it is not looking like it from my vantage point.

So, I'm hitting publish here, and heading out the door. Wish us luck, and send us good vibes. We will need it today, and this week!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you're having a hard time. I'm looking forward to all the information you will be sharing. Know what's so weird? I hate driving too! A lot of the times my hubby doesn't get it, and thinks I need to get over it. I'm like no I'm not. Like you I do what's needed when I have to, but if I can get someone else to drive I do. Good luck this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I get lost, and confused in high traffic areas. If you can direct me to a route that's not full of wall to all traffic, exits, and ramps, then I'm ok.

      The appointment actually went very well, even though so many other things did not. lol No matter, because my main focus was that appointment! I will try to write about it soon.

      Delete
  2. Hope the appointment went well. What did they suggest? This sounds exactly how I feel about my oldest's schooling too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No suggestions, yet. We will be meeting with the counselor every other week to help Bubby with identifying his feelings, and taking making better choices on how to express them. Mostly, the appt was to cover my butt when he makes threats to harm himself out of frustration. I know he is not going to do it, and so do they, but they are using that as a way to declare he is beyond their control.

      Delete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.