Thursday, July 18, 2013

Personal Consumption Challenge- Join me!

I came across the challenge I quote below in my inbox from VIA- Institute of Character. I'm not really familiar with the organization, but I did like this particular email. I thought their idea was a very, very good one.

So, I'm gonna do it! I think it's important to know what we are doing, and what we are being exposed to on a daily basis. I am not one for thinking about energy in spiritual way, whatsoever, but I do think our thoughts, words, feelings and action impact others. Our environment is important in how we feel.

I am going to go one step further in the process, and write down what I am feeling, thinking, and doing every hour as well. Not a whole journal entry, or anything. Just a few words should do. I am curious how my results will look.

So, here's the challenge:



Our Challenge to You


Over the next few weeks we will be providing you with access to these same research-based exercises (and others!) so that you can discover new ways to enhance your life. The first mindfulness exercise examines consumption and its impact on your mental state. Since "consuming goes beyond food and drink to the consumption of websites, movies, television programs, video games, books, magazines, and conversations; this training is about taking care of one’s whole self and being a mindful consumer."  Do you use television or music to distract yourself from other thoughts or feelings? Are certain conversations negative, critical and/or unproductive? This exercise will help you come back to the present moment and possibly discover ways to change your consumption habits to improve your overall mental well-being. Here is how to do it:

Exercise 1

Track the non-edible products that your consciousness consumes. Set a watch alarm to beep one time per hour; when it beeps, take notice of what your consciousness is taking in—a television commercial, a radio program, a website, a video game, a personal conversation, a book, etc. Ask yourself: Is this product or experience right now having a positive or negative effect on my consciousness? What feelings and thoughts am I experiencing in the present moment in light of this current stimulus?

 After reflecting on your consumption habits- what are your reactions? Any tendencies or behaviors that you might change to be more loving and kind towards yourself? Share your experience on our Facebook page

If you decide to do it, let me know in the comment section below, or on my FB page. I look forward to seeing how this turns out for myself, and others, as well!


1 comment:

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.