Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Most Parents Are Lazy

Did the title get your attention? Good. If you agree with it, then this blog is written with you in mind. Please, keep reading, before skipping to the comments section.

It happened again. I got sucked into another dreadful parenting debate. I always tell myself that I won't, and usually I don't, but sometimes I do. I just have to respond to people. I have to let them know just how narrow minded they are being, and in the end I doubt it matters to them one iota.

These people know just how every child should behave, and how every parent should respond when they don't.

These commentators know that every misdeed of the kid (no matter how old) is the parent's fault.

They know, because their child would never...

They know because back in their day......

How do I know these parent's POV so well? I have a confession to make here.


I know, because I used to be one of them.

As a young mom I brought my daughter home. I struggled a bit, but mostly she didn't need much. I directed her, and intuitively guided her as I did with my boys. Life was good, and my parenting felt strong. I felt in control. I scoffed as other people's children whined, and threw fits in public places. "Teach your kids some manners!" I would think. I'd roll my eyes, and sometimes even be arrogant and think the parents could not control their kids. Why, how hard could it be? Look at my little angel sitting here. Not even thinking of causing an issue. To this day my daughter has not ever thrown a fit for candy, or a toy at the store, and since she is 15 I doubt she ever will. See, I am awesome, right?

I collected compliments like they were scouting badges. What a fine job I was doing. Every person enjoyed my little CJ's company. Everywhere she went, she was praised for her good behavior.

Then, when she was just 3 1/2 my world changed when I had Bubby. He never stopped crying. No one could hold him, as he was stiff as a board. He was not the quiet, emotive, charismatic child CJ was.  No one would watch him. Even as a baby, I would get 'the call' no more than 2 hrs after leaving him anywhere. ''The call' was the one where the babysitter called to ask why he was crying. Did he have a tummy ache?  Then they'd call again. "I think he's teething" they'd say. "I gave him Orajel. He's still crying" They swaddled, and wrapped, and fed him.  He still cried. They were not me, and they could not calm his baby nerves. No one could, even me much of the time. I'd inevitably get the call to come get him. They'd had about as much of him as they could handle.

I thought this would change as he grew older. It didn't. He cried more at 12 months old, then as 2 months. For sure, I could not blame it on colic anymore. Holidays were less than pleasant, as we navigated family homes. The ones that excitedly welcomed CJ, said in so many words that Bubby was too much.

When he became mobile he was like the Tasmanian devil, leaving only havoc, and chaos in his wake. He emptied shelves, and drawers as a matter of play. He screamed, and squealed at the slightest thing that intruded his space, and invaded his will.

By the time he was 2 my husband and I were almost hermits. No one wanted to deal with Bubby, and we couldn't take him anywhere for very long, or he erupted into screams that could shatter glass.  I remember once remarking that it was like the world was assaulting his senses. he was so sensitive.

At the store he climbed out of the cart, standing, and falling in a matter of seconds, which would prompt store employees to tell me to have my son sit down. I was mortified. When did I become that mom that had this unruly child? The child that I swore I'd never have? I was paying attention. He was just so quick that I could not keep him still. He was like a ball of vibrating energy.

Then, when Bubby was 2 came Beans. Beans was a quiet, passive baby. He didn't cry much. Matter of fact, I often had to wake HIM to be fed, because he was just not doing it on his own. He didn't cry, he didn't move. He didn't seem to have much of a response to anything, ever.

Because I had my hands so full with Bubby, I thought not a lot of it.

So, I pressed on. My mothering confidence shaken. My CJ was doing well, until Kindergarten. Then, she wasn't able to read, and write like the other kids. Her behavior was still excellent, and Bubby's was still much to be desired. Beans wasn't hitting any milestones, and I was grieving the loss of my 4th child.

Tests and more tests later turned out the boys had autism, and CJ had dyslexia. I had not been searching, but the diagnosis found me via a very kind, gentle Parents as Teachers mentor.  Her kind words about my parenting, and dedication, and her very, very gentle nudge to find out why my boys weren't developing like their peers made so much difference. I just thought my kids were all unique, and they are! Turns out differently wired brains are responsible for that.

Yes, I once was that mother that thought she knew how everyone else should do it. I was that 20 something  young woman who thought she knew it all, only come to find out I don't know much at all, but I'm learning.

I urge you to learn too, if you're one of those people who wonder why people at the store, restaurant, or park have such unruly kids.

Consider perhaps that you don't know their situation. Maybe, the parent's are having a bad day. Maybe, the child has difficulties you can't see. Who knows, but having compassion, without the judgment can make all the difference in our society. We all want a better world for our kids. Respect for others starts by showing kindness, even in situations you might not understand, or agree with the other person about. You can always control what your reaction to them is going to be, and that is where our kids learn to behave, from us. Be the person you want them to grow up to be.


21 comments:

  1. I love this! Yes that was me too! Now I always have the parents back. I hate those type of comments. There is no right way to parent, we just do what works for us and our own children. If what I do can help you great, if not that's ok too. Having 7 children, all so different really opened my eyes as well. Be the person you want them to grow up to be! Best advice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, having a few kids will open our eyes quick! I just wish that I could go back to all those people, and apologize to that I judged!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful!!! I too was one of "those" parents. Ah well. Live and learn. Good luck to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, this was my little boy R and still is. Now we understand him he is so much happier and I mourn the days he was left with his ignorant impatient child minder who left him on the naughty step for soiling himself. Damn then, damn them to hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret those times I didn't understand my Bubby's autism (pre-diagnosis), and punished him for things he couldn't help. I never punished for poo pants, but poo smearing I would make him sit on his bed while I cleaned it all up. One time, it was in the closet, and on like 20 toys, so it took awhile. I just couldn't understand why a 4 yo would do such a thing.

      As far as others, yes.... he is still very misunderstood by family, and school. They try to treat every little thing as a conscious choice on his part to be bad, or manipulative in some way. It's a constant fight to this day still.

      Delete
  4. This post left me tearing up because when he described Bubby, you could have describing my oldest son, that was exactly what he was like when you was little. Unfortunately, he was my first and I developed that "I must be a really shitty parent" complex, thank you very much to all the lovely ladies in my life who knew everything! I was the young twenty something parent who could not figure out how everyone else did it, or what was wrong with me. Words, words are so much more painful to those of us struggling than people could ever imagine.

    We can all be harsh and judgmental at times (me especially I think). That is usually when my own Aspie-ness is showing through, I tend to not relate to what I do not understand, which is most of the people in the world. But if we all try juts a little bit, imagine what a better place we could make for the next young mom who is about to pull their hair out in Wal-Mart, or in tears in the bathroom in the mall... loved loved loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it doesn't help for us, like i said in the previous comment, that as our kids grow some of them get the same treatment from society. No one hardly ever says a word about Beans in public places. I get pity smiles, and confused looks. But, with Bubby his disability is not so easy to see. The vibe that I'm the reason he is the way he is gets thrown out there quite a bit with a kid like him.

      Thanks for your comments, and sharing! :)

      Delete
  5. I agree with this whole heartedly. I used to be such a judgemental person before I had kids of my own. Now I am totally cured and I really don't get judgement from other parents. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Respect for others starts by showing kindness"

    such an important point to make, thx so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post, thank you for sharing it. And you're absolutely right, we don't know others' situations! And, honestly, I can't imagine there's a parent out there that hasn't done this same thing - I know I did many, many years ago (before I had 3 kids, that is)! I do believe I can say 'lesson learned!' ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. I was kinda afraid to post this, because I was afraid it would make me look like a snobbish person, but I think you're right. Most people probably have been there. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  8. Why do we let people Get to us. I try not to but it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why do we let people Get to us. I try not to but it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is hard. Sometimes, almost impossible not to.

      Delete
  10. Wow! This is so powerful. I recently saw a question: how has autism changed you as a parent and as a person. I personally don't have autism, but I owe so much to my son, whose personality, passions, and point of view have enriched my life and my career beyond belief. Thanks for helping me see that, if my son hadn't come into my life, I might be one of those judging parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome. I have thought this many many times. I think this is magnified by being a mother with aspergers as well. Since we are already navigating motherhood differently. I also had an NT daughter before my AS son and was told/ assumed it was because he was a boy. I am grateful for going with my gut and searching for answers. This post is lovely and all parents really should be encouraging / not judging each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right! We should be encouraging each other!

      Delete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.