Saturday, June 22, 2013

My Thoughts on Time Management

I have been asking myself some hard questions lately. The kind that lead to hard answers, and even harder changes. I know that I have hinted at being kind of done with autism advocacy, and the autism as a special interest lately.  I don't think that I truly am, just yet.  However, I am changing how I go about this interest.  Sometimes, even  I get overwhelmed, and kinda....I don't know know what the word is I am looking for....almost bored, but not quite.  Maybe, complacent?

I have personal challenges in my life, as well as the ones I speak about here.  I find time to be my biggest contender, yet.  I never have enough of it to do what I want, yet... I know that is not true.  We all have all the time we need. If we added hours onto everyday, we would still feel like we were lacking in time. It is because we are not spending it wisely.  There is a gap in what we are doing vs. what we want to, or know needs done.  I think this applies to most people in general, but for me it is a huge factor in my overall life dissatisfaction.  Time is currency, because time is money. What we value is apparent by what amount of time we spend on any given activity. If we find that we are not spending time on what we value most, there is likely going to be some conflict.


If you were to ask me I would say that my family is my top priority, and everything that comes with them. However, if one would look at how I spend my time one would think that I value family, and my online activities equally.  My priorities are off.  I waste my time doing things that I truly don't value as much. and this is causing a huge backlash in my life. I am feeling overwhelmed, because the things that I value most are getting set to the back burner.  I feel an urgent need to get them taken care of, but I can't, because I whittled away my time doing inconsequential activities, like checking FB and Twitter.

Don't get me wrong. I love those sites.  They are where my friends are, and I have lots of fun on them, but they should only occupy a certain amount of my life.  At this point, my FB feed is so full of everything, and more that I cannot get in, and out of FB with any efficiency at all. This frustrates me, and overwhelms me, because this is an activity that I do enjoy, and it does rank up higher on my value list than most things.  So, I am redoing my settings again.  I am re-setting my boundaries,  No groups, and a lot of pages are getting let go of on my likes list. They are filling up my feed, clouding my mind, and keeping me from seeing some of my friend's updates.

I am also pulling back on the amount of time I spend on online activities.  Blogging is something that I see a higher value than checking FB, so I may increase this part of my routine.  I have so many ideas for home improvement projects that I would love to see some of those come to fruition, as well as I would like to see my new fitness routine keep it's momentum.

There's only 24 hours in a day, but I happen to think it is enough.  Not enough time is a myth.  I have enough to do what I need to.  I just need to re-prioritize my activities. I wonder if I have the self control to keep myself on task, though.  That is a bigger question for me.  That is my challenge. Much like money, we have to choose what we spend our time on, and sacrifice the immediate gratification of something new, and shiny for something more worthwhile later.  The excitement of fast paced social media can be enticing, but I must remember to keep my time expenditures on check.

I'd love to hear some of your ideas on time, and values. Do you find yourself always lacking in time?

9 comments:

  1. Yes, this often happens to me. And I've always kind of guarded my time so that too many demands are not made on it. I think subsconsciously I have my own needs uppermost in that regard.

    I agree that social media is a timesuck, much as I enjoy it. And what you said about the pages is right. They do clog up the feed and they seem to be most of my interaction now.

    You are right about reprioritising because I think that's the only way. I'm like you ... the family activities come first but it is working out how best to spend the rest of my time that I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I don't have much left after family stuff, and that's where I end up struggling, because I want so much time for myself to immerse into my special interests. Social media is 95% of my socializing, and I'm pretty okay with that.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with this...and I am scaling back my use of FB as well. Also not using it on my phone anymore. It just isn't important. And I waste so much time doing it because it is my only social time I really get. Things aren't getting done at home that need to. So glad you wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about the only social time that I get, too, which is okay (even preferable) to me, but like you..I seem to not be getting things done that I should. I don't even have it on my phone, but I don't know that it matters when you're a stay at home mom. My laptop is usually within a few feet all day, everyday. It makes it hard to not check in...just for a second! lol

      Delete
  3. Twitter and facebook can be fatal. I also think theres something about the Aspergers Mind that likes to get distracted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is highly obsessive. I get stuck on something, and it wants to keep doing it. My interests come, and go. When I first got a computer about 9 yrs ago it was chat rooms, then a couple of social networking sites, then online poker, then forums, and not FB, and somewhat Twitter. I don't know what they next craze for me will be.

      Delete
  4. You have hit the nail on the head for me too! I know i need to waste less time doing certain things, Facebook being one of them, and more time doing the things that are productive and rewarding, like writing, artwork, or just catching up with housework and gardening, lol! :) I do know some things i waste time on (like computer games) are more like stims, that is they calm me down. But i don't need to spend quite the time i do on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple games that I get stuck on here, and there, but never too bad or for too long. I know with me, it's always something that I am stuck on, wasting my time with. Before it was internet it was search a word puzzles, and before that it was drawing, and writing, and just really compulsive cleaning. I collect info, books, and so much stuff. It used to be more tangible, but now it's things that are more electronic clutter.

      Delete
  5. It is important to realize that time management should actually help an individual become more efficient in the way time is used. I always analyse my schedule, responsibilities and daily tasks.

    I have tried many personal time scheduling software programs that allow to keep a calendar and to-do lists. Out of all, time recording software from Replicon has worked wonderfully. The good part I found is it records the time and it has options to edit our schedule.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.