Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Inner #Aspie Celebrates '1000 Ausome Things' #Autismpositivity2013

When I heard of the Autism Positivity Flashblog 2013- 1000 Ausome Things
event, I thought it was a great idea. I participated in last year's event
'I wish I didn't have Asperger's' and wanted to make an entry for this year, as well.

I have, however  run into an unexpected writer's block.  I thought, and I thought.... What should I share that would let the world wide web know how awesome I think autism is?  Then, I hit a wall.  It's the wall I often hit when I am thinking of broad subjects. My brain tumbles around trying to grab a concept, but I don't think in big sweeping concepts....So, here I am last minute, rambling about autism.  Sounds, like my life.  I'm always a bit late to the party, and all I have to talk about when I get there is autism, because it makes up such a huge part of my life.

Then it hits me.


Everyday is Autism Positivity for me. I am always posting about my family, and our life with autism on my Inner Aspie FB page, here on my blog, and via Twitter.  It's not always positive all the time, but no one's life is.  These collections of posts, and interactions are what I use to spread how awesome autism is, because this is an everyday thing for me.  I love interacting with the broad autism community, and have met some of the best people I've ever known within this community.

On any given day,you can see posts on my page about how funny my Asperger's son, Bubby is, or what great thing my severely autistic son, Beans did for the first time.  I can talk about how we are honest, caring, authentic, lovable, unique, determined, and happy myself, and my boys are, but I do that everyday.

I talk about these things like they're really not all that special, because in my life, they're not.  In my eyes, my boys, and I are who we are.  We are normal for us.  We're not awesome. We're just us.  I view autism, and other 'disabilities' (please don't leave comments about whether or not autism is a disability. Not what this post is about) as just another part of the human existence. We are just another person.  Different is just another way of being.  I am pushing, and trying to make space in everyday life with everyone that we encounter to feel the same.There is a certain quiet comfort with my family that others notice when they're around us.  I think it's a cool confidence in owning who we are. I almost never get disapproving looks, or comments from strangers when I am out in public with my boys, even though Bean's differences are extremely noticeable.  We just go about our business, as if we're anyone else, because to us, we are. It's business as usual when we go shopping, or out to dinner.  I learned how to best support my boys, and myself, and follow that formula as best as I can. Sure, we have off days, but we always pick back up, and restrategize for next time. With the rights supports, and environments autism is not an issue.  I only notice it becomes one when that acceptance isn't there.  The problems arise when schools aren't set up to accommodate our spectrum kids, and we as adults aren't accommodated at work, or in everyday life.  To me, that's a society issue, not an autism issue. When our needs are respected, and tended to the other problems usually resolve themselves.

Everyone matters.  Everyone has some great things about them, and those things deserve to be celebrated. I'm not gonna list every quality that my sons, and I have that is positive. There's so many, as there is for everyone.  The reason I share the most intimate details of my life, and the way my brain works on my FB page, and blog, is so that I raise not awareness, but understanding of what ASD is, and why we do the things we do.  Understanding is  key part of acceptance, and I work to build that understanding everyday.  I want to live in a world where my son's best features of their personality shine through to everyone everywhere. I want their autism to be seen as part of who they are, as well as just a natural variation of what it is to be human.  Not good, not bad, just different. 

4 comments:

  1. I do NOT wish I didn't have Asperger's.

    It is a gift.

    If I were an NT, I would not notice as much, care about detail, have the same sort of empathy that I do for others, and I would make many phony facial expressions that distract and annoy. I would probably have a very dull life in a cubicle and spend lots of time and money sitting in traffic, participating in rush hour twice a day.

    No, I am happy as an Aspie with my intense, focused interests and meaningful work as a writer and editor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a piece of what it's like to be you. I try to share what it's like to be adopted and to have lost a child. To me, adoption is inconsequential, losing a child, not so much. Regardless, people find a voice in my words as I'm sure they do in yours. Looking forward to reading more.

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo
    http://www.journeysofthezoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lost a child, as well. It is a different world of pain then any other I have encountered, and I have encountered quite a bit. Thanks for your comment! I have connected with you on FB, and Twitter!
      Ps. Sorry, it has taken me so long to reply. I can't ever seem to find time for everything, but always appreciate all comments!

      Delete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.