Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Goal Setting-coping skill for Adult #ASD

After writing the Dear Self, entry yesterday I have been pondering on how I can care for myself better.  I simply don't accept that autistics, introverts, and worriers have to be discontent much of the time.  I don't accept this for myself, anyway.  I genuinely do want to be happy, content, and fulfilled. I know that I can't be if I am always tense, and worked up.

So, I thought about it.

What is causing me to feel so under pressure?
Other than my natural state of being a perfectionist, I'd say stress.

What can I do to help alleviate it, then?
Not much to make it go away. My life is my life. Things have to get done, and I have to do it.

But, then I wondered if I could possibly manage my stress differently?  Maybe, it can't go away, but could I rearrange my day, and the way I look at it?
I think I could. I think my issue is not my level of stress, as much as how I manage it, and feel burnt out at every turn.

So, what would this look like?
Maybe, less time on the computer doing meaningless tasks, like checking on emails, FB notifications, ect...  I could also start setting more structured goals that are actually attainable.


That is my plan for now.  Less meaningless internet surfing, and more structured goals. I am doing this for me, because I need to change.  The only way to change the way we do things, is by doing.  A plan is nice, but will only go so far without action.  I feel that I can focus better if I have a clear goal in mind to attain, and I will feel more confident if I am able to meet the goals I set forth, instead of kind of fluttering here, and there with good intentions, but not as good of results.

Who is with me? Anyone else want to join me in this effort of letting go of the small stuff, and getting busy with what's important?

I will post on FB page daily for check ins if you'd like to check in there.  If not, do your own. I'm doing it for accountability.  If I have to check in on my page daily, then I will stick to my goals.  If I do it privately, I am much more likely to not do it.

The format will be:

Daily Goal: One thing that I want to accomplish today. Big or small.
Weekly Goal: One goal that I want to get accomplished before next Monday.  Also, can be big or small. Be sure to include the steps necessary to take to reach success.
Monthly Goal: One goal that you  want to have completed by the end of the month.  Again, it can be small. Just because it's a monthly goal, doesn't mean it has to be huge. This one you definitely want to include the steps needed to reach it.


Okay, so here's mine:
Daily: Boy's room cleaned up
Weekly: Cards sent to my Send a Wish requests, as well as updated request list.
Monthly: Keep up with my new awesome fitness routine 3 days a week.

6 comments:

  1. this is a very interesting question that you pose, but even more interesting is the solution. i wonder if many of us feel discontent due to the amount of time that we spend with meaningless surfing on the computer. it seems that much of *my* own day now is spent on the computer. less and less of it is spent doing the things that i used to enjoy doing - the things that fulfilled me... gardening, crafts, being outside, walking, etc. i think it's interesting where our society is heading, and i wonder if this 'technological' age is also throwing us into a state of depression and anxiety... or at least heightening it those of us that already have a glimmer of it. something to think about for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder the same thing. I don't mind constructing something on the computer, but the mindless checking in on this, that, and the other is slowly eroding my time away. It probably does other people's, too. I am trying to find that fine line of being happy, and constructive online, and addicted, and lost on online.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing a common source of stress for all of us! Working on what is most significant to us, while taking more effort and focus, yields deep satisfaction in the long run. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. I felt the same way for many years. That is why I developed a simple goal setting software tool to help me be less stressed and more organized. Actionplanrhttp://actionplanr.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found something to help. The link won't work for me, though. I'd like to see your software.

      Delete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.