Wednesday, September 14, 2011

To-do Lists Revisited

In some previous posts I have spoken about not taking a to-do list too seriously.  I am trying to find the happy medium that lies between rigid schedules that leave no room for flexibility, and being human... and the other end, which leaves me feeling like anxious and irritable at the end of the day due to a messy house, tasks not getting done, or getting done last minute out of necessity. 

I've tried many methods to organize my time and get things done.  When I was a teenager I used to use a notebook with a daily agenda grouped into categories of things to do.  Many of these things were daily activities that most would never forget to do.  It's not that I would forget, necessarily.  It's more along the lines that I would feel overwhelmed at the prospect of things to do, not know where to begin, and then not do it.  If I list out the tasks I feel in control of a visual cue that I can now use as a tool to organize my thoughts, and put myself into action. 

As I got older, I have tried many different strategies, but many have looked similar to the one I devised as a teen.  The latest one that I have been using for a couple years (and need to get back to) is one that I have a master copy of, and I print 30 or so sheets at a time. I'll see if I can type up a rough visual of it in the next post, as well as some tips for keeping organized with ADHD and ASD.

I guess my biggest issue is that I struggle with keeping up with doing what I know works.  It's like the previous post where I discussed slip sliding back into bad habits, and ineffective ways of coping.  I know that I am happier when I am on schedule, but sometimes I can't get myself to get moving. I need to keep myself involved and committed.  I know the results I want, and now I need to put in the effort to achieve them. 

So, for today... I am going to write out my schedule, since it has changed since the kids have gone back to school.  I don't handle routine changes well, so that might be part of my 'I don't know what to do' feeling.  That's why I get so upset when my routine changes.  I can't automatically reroute a new schedule in my head.  I wish my brain saw the big picture, and could easily do that, but it can't.  I am always swallowed up by details to a point of being frozen, which is how I've been feeling.  Analyzing to the point of paralyzing.  After writing out my schedule I am going to make a few new rules about how I spend my time and stick to it, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.