Monday, August 1, 2011

Hate Crime?

Slur Wounds Mother Of Autistic Man

I happen to think that yes it does count as a hate crime.  Why wouldn't it?  Is it because it's less PC to say the R word than the N word for blacks or F word for gays?  Using the R word is just as hateful and demeaning as the other words.  It's about time we as a society realize that.  Words have meaning and anyone who says things like 'oh that so retarded' in my house gets corrected.  When one attaches a negative connotation (reatrded = anything bad or undesirable for instance) than being reatrded or as I prefer to call it intelecctually handicapped takes a form of less than. Think about it next time you utter the slur Retarded about something you find bad or stupid.  Think about how that word being negative makes people that are that way seem less than to society and thereby less dignified and less deserving of the same human rights the rest of us enjoy.  Think about if it was you that was in that position.  So, yes....that was a hate crime as far as I am concerned and I think it's sad that law enforcement still in this day and age thinks differently.

Oh, and as a side note, I get a little irritated at people who have children or adults on the severe end of the  spectrum who  vehemently deny that their kids are 'retarded' as if it were something bad or undesirable.  Bean's doctor report states that he's retarded, though I am not sure that's correct.  Not because I feel being intellectually disabled is such a bad thing, but rather due to his obvious inability to communicate any knowledge he may have. It may or may not be valid, but either way he deserves respect.

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more my dear. I don't like the 'R' word, and don't use it myself, and am annoyed when others use it on me, or act as tho i am one!
    It also concerns me how many autistic children have been diagnosed as 'intellectually handicapped', when it's simply that they either can't communicate or don't see the point of interacting with the tester - or other reasons, it doesn't matter why, it matters only that a 'presumption of intellect' happens, and that they are respected as human beings in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it doesn't matter to me as much as long as there's respect given to the person behind the label. I think if we changed our concept as a whole to be more positive in what we feel and think about intellectual disabilities then things like this story would be considered a hate crime. The only reason it isn't is because people that are gay, or black are considered equals to the rest of us, so when slurs are written on their property it's considered a hate crime. It's not considered a hate crime to do it to someone with a presumed intellectually disability because they're not seen as equals. I can just see the cops patting the overzealous over protective (in their mind anyway) mother on the head and going to the next call in a patronizing way. As far as whether it's correct to label autistics with MR or ID or, whatever they're calling it now, I think I'll save it for another blog post.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.