Monday, July 18, 2011

Asperger Syndrome and Depression

Asperger Syndrome and Depression  

The link above is to a short but informative article about AS and co-morbid depression.  I always kind of thought that the two were kind of one in the same.  I wonder how many people on the spectrum have not had depression or suffer an anxiety disorder? This would almost certainly be a small percentage, I would think.  Then I wonder if it has more to do with nature or nurture?  Is it our brains that are that way almost from the beginning?  Or is it a case of it being nature in that we struggle to fit into a world that is alien to us?  Seems like it could be the latter to me.  I feel like the struggle for me has definitely been more of an environmental one than anything.  Would acceptance, tolerance of the differences that those on the spectrum have be a almost cure for the depression and anxiety that so many of us carry around with us?

3 comments:

  1. Acceptance would certainly go a long way, but not all the way. We need to be able to regulate our own emotions as well, and for that we need to be in touch with them and recognise them - not always easy for those on the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but a part of that acceptance (to me) would include education for how to manage our emotions as people on the spectrum. Our needs would be considered as well as our differences and thus in turn we would be taught as we learn best. I think we need to be taught about emotions the way an NT might need to be taught math or phonics. I wonder how the young generation of autistics who were nurtured and cared for in a way that helped them feel secure, validated, and educated will fare as adults? Success lie in the utilization of the appropriate tools. Something I think you and I had to learn the hard, long way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, and how, to that last! I could have done with 'education for how to manage' my emotions!
    It would be nice to see the next generation of autistic kids taught explicitly about emotions, instead of learning it the (extremely) hard way we did.
    I do remember how not being accepted as i was, made me feel depressed, becos it made me feel so bad about myself, that depression was almost inevitable, for decades of my life.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.