Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Antidepressant Controversy: What Does it Mean For You?

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/anxiety/2011/07/the-antidepressant-controversy-what-does-it-mean-for-you/
The above link is something that I  find very interesting.  Here in the US the prescription of anti-depressants is quite commonplace.  As a matter of fact, I meet very few people that have never been on one before, or aren't currently taking one. (people feel prone to disclosing personal info with me, I have no idea as to why, and most confess that they don't either after they tell me personal info.)

I do think that more research is required, but from what I have experienced and seen/heard from others anti-depressants may not be anymore effective than a sugar pill.  It would explain how , from my personal experience, I would seem to feel better at the beginning of starting a new medication, only to have the effect wane after a few months. 

I am now med free once again after attempting to take a new medication for my anxiety and it causing side effects that I found undesirable, namely insomnia.  At first, I was feeling good.  The relaxation was nice compared to my usual tense, worrying self.  Then, the same as with anti-depressants, the anxiety starting returning in small doses, and to add to that I was finding it increasingly difficult to fall asleep at night.  I've not had this problem ever in my life, but I found nothing more anxiety provoking than needing to sleep, not being able to, and watching the clock tick off the hours. It was a viscous cycle, because the later in the wee hours of the morning it got, the more anxious and agitated I became.  So, I have been off of Buspar for 2 days now and my sleep is returning, well when Beans will let it!

3 comments:

  1. If meds work they are great and can make life so much better, but if they don't its a nightmare. My youngest was on too much SSRI and it actually caused the depression we were trying to avoid. No matter what you do as far as meds are concerned, it is so very important to stay on top of what is happening to you and your child.

    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I find it hard to get over the fact that no matter what ails one doctors always have a pill for it. Diet, exercise, behavior mod, and meditation aren't tried first. But, you are right in that some people have had great improvement with meds. I just haven't ever unfortunately been one of those people. None of my kids are on meds, besides for asthma and allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All anti-depressants did for me was make me feel like a zombie!! I hated them. No emotions meant no good feelings either - and I felt really strange. I took myself off them after only a week or so. But then I have trouble with a lot of drugs, it isn't only anti-depressants by any means, they are just one type on a long list!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.