Thursday, October 5, 2017

Fried and Spanish Rice Recipe

I make stir-fry, and Mexican food at least once a week. Rice is a big part of my family's meals, so I have had a lot of practice on how to make it well, and cheaply. I have tried several ways to make it, and the following recipe is the best, by far.

Now, I have to admit, right off the bat, that these are not authentic recipes. I am not claiming they are native to the Spanish, or Asian cuisine. I just like the way this technique comes out, so it's what I use, and I figured maybe a few of you might be able to use it, too.

The basic recipe is:

-1 1/2 Cup rice
-3 Cups Liquid/broth
- Oil for sauteing


If I am making fried rice I use 2 1/2 cups of broth (3 bullion cubes dissolved) and add about a 1/2 cup of soy sauce, and a couple drops of sesame oil. You can add different seasonings to this as you'd like. This is just my basic formula.

If I'm making Spanish rice I use 2 cups of broth (2 bullion cubes dissolved) and 1 cup of salsa.

For the oil you will want to use caution in picking one that can be used at high temperatures. I use peanut oil, or vegetable oil. DO NOT use olive oil. It can potentially start a fire.

First, I heat the oil (a couple tablespoons) in a big skillet over high heat. Then, brown add the rice sauteing until it's brown.
It will look about like this.
Second, add the liquid. It will pop, sizzle, and steam! Be very careful, and do this slowly!

Next, bring to a decent boil.
Then, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. I always check around 20 minutes to see if it's done, or if I might need to add a little more water.
Spanish rice
Let me know if you try it how it turns out for you! Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.