Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lung Leavin' Day 2014- Letting go of fears

A couple weeks ago I was contacted by Cameron Von St. James about joining him, his wife Heather and many others in celebrating Lung Leavin' Day 2014 .  

I was intrigued by the idea of doing something a little different than the usual autism related posts. When I read Heather's amazing story about being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called mesothelioma and the risky procedure that saved her life I knew I wanted to be help tell others about Heather's journey. Today we celebrate Heather's 8th year cancer free. It is the day 8 years ago she had her left lung removed- thus the name her sister-in-law coined Lung Leavin' Day!

 February 2nd is not just a day Heather and her family celebrates as being cancer free, but also a day they want to share with others to encourage them to face their fears. Every year the Von St. James family builds a fire in their backyard, and throw plates with their biggest fears written on them into the flames.  It's a tradition of letting go of fears, and celebrating life.

I have thought about what fears I'd like to toss into the fire the last few days as I anticipated writing this post.
So many came up. I was a little taken aback by the amount, and the open-endedness of the fears that surfaced once I gave it some thought.  I am not a stranger to anxiety by any means, but I was a little surprised how little thought I give to big fears, and how much thought I give to the little anxieties of everyday life. I was not aware of how much my big fears might be feeding all of the little tiny anxieties that I exhibit everyday. Could many of my little anxieties, and irritations be the culmination of my big fears?



I went to Heather's awesome interactive site and wrote my biggest fears on the plates. It felt good to smash them into the fire.  By being aware of them, and owning them I feel more empowered. From fearing financial distress, to who is going to care for my severely autistic son when I die, to worries over my husband's illness. They were all bold fears. They were all too real, and all of them were not really in my control at this time, no matter how much I wanted them to be.

What are your fears? Stop by the site, and leave them in the fire, and celebrate Lung Leavin' Day by sharing with your friends and family.


3 comments:

  1. Great post and very timely for me. I did a post on it just now and linked to you and Heather. Thanks for posting! What a great way to let go of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, and mentioning me in your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really wonderful!! I am going to go by her site now. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.